Friday, May 8, 2009


--SALMON AND RICE NEVER GETS OLD-- Okay so maybe it does but that doesn't mean I'll ever stop making and eating it. Its too easy and yummy and I change it up a bit each time. So I usually take my salmon and marinate it in anything, dressings, vinaigrettes, a mix of something salty and sweet, the list is endless. The easiest way to cook it in my opinion is broiling it. Takes two seconds to turn it on, put it on the pan and put it right under for about 6 to 8 minutes. Thats the easiest. Or sometimes I fry it in the pan real high for a minute, flip it over and put it in a really hot oven for 5 or 6 minutes. But then theres the best... GRILL IT. Oh the flavor... I have no words. Takes only a couple minutes on each side and it just melts in your mouth. So thats my low down on cooking sweet salmon, I could be way off on the proper techniques but thats what works for me. Anyway both of these meals I made in literally ten minutes, no joke. I was starving one day, didn't have any food I thought. I defrosted my salmon (okay that took an extra 10 minutes) chopped up some onions and mushrooms along with some garlic which I mashed up really well and poored on a bit of honey and S and P and made kind of a paste for the salmon. I just spread it on the salmon, filled the pan with olive oil and started frying. While it fried I poored in just enough balsamic v to kind of marinate it. I didn't have time for marinating so this was my way of getting around it. I flipped it and threw it in the oven at 450 for a bit. Sauteed my onions and mushrooms and cooked some brown rice in the... wait for it... microwave. Thanks you Uncle Bens 90 second healthy rices! Threw it all together and poored on a bit more balsamic and olive oil. Pretty good for 10 minutes. This other more colorful picture of salmon took on a more asian flavor, again simple simple. I had this piece marinating (in some asain sesame dressing) for no longer than an hour and I broiled it. Again the uncle ben's brown rice and I decided to thinly sliced the veggies just to change it up and it took less time to cook so it worked out. Just sauteed them in a pan with the usual olive oil and S and P. Again I put it all together and poored a little sesame oil and soy sauce over the top with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds.





4 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! And I love how you've found easy ways to change up the flavor. PS. I think you should make your blog open, ladies need these great ideas but they can't access it unless they get your permission and that takes alot of extra steps. You're sharing stuff many moms need that get stuck in the daily rut of food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your food blog. Laurel told me last night that you are starting culinary school Monday and got half the tuition paid for. That's awesome! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heid, let's get a picture of your SCI stuff in here and give us your testimonial about your new adventure. Let's get it down on paper, or rather, computer that you are going and how you feel about it. I guess it doesn't need a picture. But I could take one of you with your new SMILE on your face.

    ReplyDelete